Thank you for your interest in Virginia Mason Memorial's internship program. Memorial provides internships for many disciplines...clinical, medical, and administrative. Memorial only provides opportunities for students that have a requirement by their educational facility to complete hours, or are receiving credit for their internship.
I would like to complete my required placement with Virginia Mason Memorial...what should I do?
Internships are arranged between the educational facility and Virginia Mason Memorial. If you are interested in completing your requirement with us, please contact your school's placement coordinator. The coordinator will contact our office to discuss the possibility of placement. Only students from schools that have Affiliation Agreements with Virginia Mason Memorial will be considered.
My placement has been arranged through my school...what are next steps?
Your school coordinator will provide you with the requirements for rotations and with a link to the appropriate online application with Virginia Mason Memorial. If you are unable to obtain this from your coordinator, please contact our office, and we can provide this information to you.
I am a current Memorial employee, so I still need to go through this process?
Yes, all students completing rotations within Virginia Mason Virginia Mason Memorial are required to complete the required application and orientation process.
My school doesn't have an affiliation agreement with Virginia Mason Memorial...can I still complete my rotations with Virginia Mason Memorial?
The affiliation agreement is the critical first step to arranging your rotation with us. Depending upon your timeframe and the current needs within Virginia Mason Memorial, we may be able to request an agreement with the school. Please be aware that this can be a very time-consuming process, which can typically take 3-6 months or more to complete.
I would like to receive experience through an internship, but it is not required by my educational program. Can I still intern?
Virginia Mason Memorial only provides internships for students that have requirements by their educational facility or are receiving credit for their internship. Depending upon the type of experience you desire, volunteering with Virginia Mason Memorial may provide you with some great experience.
Can I get paid for my internship with Virginia Mason Memorial?
Virginia Mason Memorial only provides unpaid internships.
My family member/neighbor/friend works at an area medical provider and they know someone who said I can just intern with them without going through this process. Is that OK?
No, all internships are required to go through the appropriate avenue to ensure that you will receive proper credit and to avoid potential liability and insurance concerns. While we appreciate the fact that someone offered to help you, everyone must follow the same process.
What specific requirements are there for placement?
Each program has specific requirements that you will be made aware of.
Below are the requirements for all students:
School shall notify Training Site of incoming students no later than 4 weeks prior to the student's proposed arrival.
School shall ask each student who may be placed at Training Site to obtain his/her criminal history background record from the WA State Patrol, pursuant to RCW 43.43.830 and RCW 43.43.838, and for permission to authorize school to transmit that record or copy to the Training Site upon their request. Training Site will refuse placement of any student who does not provide this record to school or to training site upon request. Training site has the right to refuse any student who has a record of prior criminal conduct. Any student with a criminal record must be cleared with the Training Site prior to commencement of clinical rotations.
In accordance with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for Healthcare Providers, School notify its student that they must obtain school will verify completion of the following:
- Two-Step Tuberculosis Skin Test (TST) - and annual TB test thereafter. Documentation of at least 2 TST with most recent TST within 12 months of beginning student rotation. Annual TST required. Students with a history of positive TST must have documentation of a negative chest x-ray, negative QuantiFeron gold, or documented completion of INH treatment for Tuberculosis. An annual surveillance form for signs and symptoms of active tuberculosis is also required for any students with a positive TST.
- Proof of Immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella- Proof of immunity as evidenced by one of the following:
- Vaccine records that include two doses of MMR vaccine
- Laboratory testing that shows positive levels of antibodies for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
- Proof of Immunity to Varicella (Chickenpox)-Proof of
- Immunity as evidenced by one of the following:
- Vaccine records that include two doses of varicella vaccine
- Laboratory testing that shows positive levels of antibodies for varicella
- Physician documentation of the disease
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap, not DTP/DTaP) vaccine- Documentation that the Tdap vaccine has been received after 2005.
- Influenza vaccine- Vaccine will be required annually between November 1- May1.
- Hepatitis B Vaccine- Documentation of completion of the 3-dose Hepatitis B vaccine series or a positive hepatitis B surface antibody titer (HBSAB).
The Training Site reserves the right to require or other potential vaccinations as guided per recommendations of the CDC and adopted by the Infection Control Department of the Training Site. School will verify and maintain compliance of all student requirements and be able to provide documentation of compliance to Training Site upon request. Requirements are to be met prior to the start of student rotation.
Training Site requires clinical healthcare students who are training in clinical roles, as defined by the Basic Life Support Certification Policy, to obtain and maintain an American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider (HCP) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification card. School and/or student will provide this information to Training Site prior to or during the student orientation period.
Does Virginia Mason Memorial provide the above vaccines?
No, Virginia Mason Memorial does not provide vaccines for students.
If you have additional questions or would like to provide your schools placement coordinator with contact information: