- Minimuum of 6 months or 100 hour commitment
- Age 16 and above
What is the application process?
Please carefully review the Requirements Section and FAQ of this page before completing an application. Remember that volunteers must commit to six months of consecutive service, and placement in a certain department is not guaranteed. In order for your application to be accepted and reviewed, the following must be submitted.
- After reviewing the requirements and FAQ, please complete our online volunteer application. Make sure to fill out all necessary fields. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- References must be someone who is familiar with your professional skills, such as a teacher, supervisor, co-worker, or anyone who knows you on a professional basis. If professional references are not available, personal references may be used.
- Family members cannot be used as references.
- After you complete your application form and submit it, you will receive an email with information on how to schedule your appointment with Employee Health to provide your health clearance.
- Your appointment with Employee Health must be scheduled within 1 month of submitting your application.
- After we have received Health Clearance, an interview will be held.
- After a successful interview, references will be contacted, and a background check will be run.
- Orientation will be scheduled, along with training for your position.
What are the requirements for becoming a volunteer?
As a volunter you will hold as absolutely confidential all information, which you may obtain directly or indirectly concerning patients, doctors, or personnel and you will not seek confidential information in regard to a patient.
You understand youry services are donated to Virginia Mason Memorial without contemplation of compensation or future employment and are given with humanitarian or charitable reasons.
You are informed of the required minimum time commitment of 6 months or 100 hours. You understand what is expected and you are committed to fulfilling this requirement.
Minimum age requirement - 16 years old. If 16 years old, student must have parent permission slip signed and returned to Volunteer Services. A students age can limit them on where they can volunteer (CCU or Hospice for example)
Proof of vaccinations or immunity by lab (titers) for:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Varicella (Chicken pox)
Two Step Tuberculosis Skin Test
- Please bring previous TB Skin Tests or TB lab tests
- All volunteers must be vaccinated annually with the current seasonal vaccine if volunteering during November 1st through May 1st.
Hint: To locate records, check with previous employers, parents, baby book, high school/college, physician, military, local/state health department. If you are unable to obtain these health records, Inspire Health orders blood tests and provides vaccinations and/or tuberculosis testing at no cost to you.
Security Screening-A background check is run prior to any volunteer being placed
Commitment-We require a minimum of a 6 month/100 hour commitment
Age-Minimum of 16 years old. Some specific programs may have other age requirements
If I volunteer, will I get a job at VMM?
Volunteering does not guarantee any type of employment
Can I continue volunteering after my initial 6 month commitment is fulfilled?
Absolutely! We will keep you on the schedule until you notify us that you will be resigning
How long do you keep applications?
The application is marked as rejected if we do not receive health clearance from Employee Health within 30 days of application. However, we can always reactive your application…just contact our office!!
Can I volunteer for community service hours?
Yes, if it is for school, we are able to find a volunteer site, and you are able to meet the hours commitment. If it is court appointed, we are, unfortunately, unable to place you. Please be aware that you must complete at least 100 hours of service per our volunteer requirement prior to having any school required paperwork signed off confirming your hours. This applies even if your requirement is less than 100 hours.
Do you offer letters of reference to volunteers?
Definitely! Once you complete your 6 month/100 hour commitment, we will be happy to issue a letter of reference
I need to obtain a certain number of volunteer hours for school requirements. Will this be possible at VMM?
We are unable to guarantee that you will be able to obtain a specific number of hours, nor can we guarantee the type of contact (working with RN, MD, etc) during your volunteerism.