Privacy Practices & Medicare
HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, is a law designed to help ensure the portability of health insurance coverage, reduce health care fraud and abuse, enforce standards of health information, and guarantee the security and privacy of health information.
Yakima Valley Memorial is committed to meeting the demands of HIPAA, and to protect our patients' privacy and confidentiality without exception.
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOWMEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOUMAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED ANDHOWYOU CAN GETACCESS TO THISINFORMATON. PLEASE REVIEW IT.
Rights and Protections for everyone with Medicare
- Be protected from discrimination. Every company or agency that works with Medicare must obey the law, and can't treat you differently because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, or sex.
- Have access to doctors, specialists, and hospitals.
- Get information in a way you understand from Medicare, about:
-Health care providers, and, under certain circumstances, contractors.
-Making health care decisions.
-Knowing what to do if you want to file a Medicare complaint or appeal.
-Health care payment, coverage of services, or prescription drug coverage.
- When a claim is filed, you get a notice from Medicare or from your Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C), other Medicare health plan, or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D) letting you know what it will and won't cover.
- How to file complaints (sometimes called "grievances"), including complaints about the quality of your care.
Your rights as a hospital patient:
- You have the right to receive necessary hospital services covered by Medicare, or covered by your Medicare Health Plan ("your Plan") if you are a Plan enrollee.
- You have the right to know about any decision that the hospital, your doctor, your Plan, or anyone else makes about your hospital stay and who will pay for it.
- Your doctor, your Plan, or the hospital should arrange for services you will need after you leave the hospital. Medicare or your Plan may cover some care in your home (home health care) and other kinds of care, if ordered by your doctor or by your Plan. You have the right to know about these services, who will pay for them, and where you can get them. If you have any questions, talk to your doctor or Plan representative, or talk to hospital personnel.
Your Hospital Discharge and Medicare Appeal Rights
As an inpatient receiving Medicare benefits for your hospital stay, you have certain rights regarding your discharge from the hospital. If you feel that your physician is discharging you before you are ready, you have the right to ask for an immediate review of your providers decision.
An organization called LIVANTA, Medicare's Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organization (BFCC-QIO) will conduct a review to determine if it is appropriate to discontinue your care and discharge you. LIVANTA will make a decision within 24 hours from the time they are notified. You will have the right to remain in the hospital while the review is being
conducted and a decision is made (24 hrs.).
You signed and received An Important Message from Medicare notice at the time of your admission. This document is where you will find the instructions for requesting an appeal. If you need assistance or further information please ask to speak to a hospital Case Manager.
For additional information:https://www.medicare.gov/claims-appeals/your-right-to-a-fast-appeal
Yakima Valley Memorial is committed to providing Appropriate Based Hospital and Medically Necessary Services (in locations not operating under the hospital's license) to all persons in need of such care regardless of their ability to pay. YVM shall provide financial assistance to eligible patients in conformance with federal and state law. Find more information at patients-and-visitors-financial-assistance-guidelines.asp or contact Business Services at (509) 575-8255.
Yakima Valley Memorial has been providing care to members of our community for 70 years.
Engaging Every Day
Packed with health news and information, our Facebook page is a great place to connect and get the latest news...
Your Hospital Stay
Now in both English and Spanish, our patient Guide To Services provides all the information you need...