In Case Of Emergency
In keeping with our philosophy of patient-and family-centered care, Virginia Mason Memorial has designed a system for patients, patient surrogates and family members to call for emergent SOS assistance** whenever the patient's condition is perceived to be declining or is worrisome.
The SOS response team is a made up of specially trained clinical staff. These indi viduals respond to the patient's bedside immediately to evaluate the patient's condition and take any necessary actions to keep the patient safe and help prevent a respiratory or cardiac arrest.
Reasons to call the SOS Team
- Increasing or sudden difficulty breathing
- Unexplained sudden onset confusion
- Unexplained sleepiness or inability to awaken patient
- Uncontrolled pain
- A "gut feeling" that something is not right, or the patient's condition is worsening
**Always contact the nurse first.
How to call the SOS Team
- Using the hospital bedside telephone, Dial "0"
- Tell the operator: "I need an SOS Team to my room"
- The operator is able to tell which room you are calling from