When the weight began to fall off I thought, this is a much better way to live.Read More
Virginia Mason Memorial is committed to helping those at risk of developing diabetes gain the skills and confidence needed to successfully lower their risk factors. All classes are available in both Spanish and English and cost $50 for a year long class.
Contact: (509) 249-5317
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a condition where the blood sugar is higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Virginia Mason Memorial's prevention program helps people lower their risk of type 2 diabetes. Participants meet in groups with a trained lifestyle coach for 16 weekly, one-hour sessions and seven monthly follow up sessions. Learn more »
How do I know this program is for me?
- Are you an overweight adult?
- Do you have family members with diabetes?
- Have you had gestational diabetes during pregnancy or did any of your babies weigh 9 lbs or more at birth?
- Have you ever been told you have high blood sugar, prediabetes, or borderline diabetes?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may be at risk for type 2 diabetes.
If you would like to learn more about this program, you can attend an orientation on the last Monday of each month from 4 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. at Virginia Mason Memorial's Community Education Center at 2506 W. Nob Hill Blvd. No registration is necessary for the orientation.
Resources for Participants/Alumni
- Diabetes Prevention Support Sessions include review topics presented by your lifestyle coaches to provide additional support and accountability for your goals. Monthly on the second Monday of each month, 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. (opportunity for weigh in at 12:30 p.m.) Virginia Mason Memorial Education Center, 2506 W Nob Hill Blvd, Yakima. No registration necessary.