Awards & Accreditations
Virginia Mason memorial is committed to meeting the needs of our community. With more than 300 physicians on our medical staff and more than 2,500 employees, Memorial is home to a number of nationally recognized medical programs. We are proud to note the following awards of distinction and recognition of excellence.
Commission on Cancer, 3-year Accreditation, 2015
Virginia Mason Memorial's comprehensive Cancer Care received Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer, an independent organization established by the American College of Surgeons that sets standards for quality cancer care.
In addition, Memorial received commendation in the following areas:
- Clinical Trial Accrual
- Cancer Registrar Education
- Public Reporting of Outcomes
- Nursing Care
- RQRS Participation
- Data Submission, Accuracy of Data
The Cancer Committee was formed in 1974 to develop a comprehensive cancer care program for Yakima Valley and the surrounding communities. Cancer prevention, treatment, palliative and survivorship services are represented on this team of medical professionals and community service partners. The current committee meets regularly to initiate, implement, and monitor quality standards in cancer care under the guidelines of the Commission on Cancer.
What does this mean for cancer patients?
- Quality care, close to home
- Comprehensive care including a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multidisciplinary, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Access to cancer related information, education and support
- A cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment/patient follow-up care
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
Heart and Vascular
- Member of the Washington Emergency Cardiac & Stroke System. Memorial Hospital is a level 1 Emergency Cardiac Center and a level 2 Emergency Stroke Center.
- The American Heart Association Stroke Gold Silver Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus
- The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association recognize this hospital for achieving 85% or higher adherence to all Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Achievement indicators for two or more consecutive 12 month intervals and at least 12 consecutive months of 75% or higher compliance with 5 or more Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Quality measures to improve quality of patient care and outcomes.
- The American Heart Association Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
- The American Heart Association recognizes this hospital for achieving 85% or higher compliance with all Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Achievement Measures and 75% or higher compliance with four or more Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Quality Measures for two or more consecutive years and has demonstrated documentation of all three Target: Heart Failure care components for 50% or more of eligible patients with heart failure discharged from the hospital to improve quality of patient care and outcomes.
The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization and the nation's oldest and largest standards-setting and evaluation body in health care. The Joint Commission has 60 years of recognized and respected excellence and expertise in evaluating clinical care quality in all types of provider settings. Certified programs must demonstrate a systematic approach to care delivery, and a commitment to performance improvement that helps maintain a consistently high-level of quality, reducing the risk of error.
- Joint Commission Certification Gold Seal of Approval
Memorial is the only hospital in Washington to have these three programs achieve Disease Specific Care Certification.
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Hip Fracture Care
- 2014 Washington State Hospital Association "Achieving Best Care Award" for our efforts to decrease patient harm through our participation in the Partnership for Patients national initiative
- Qualis Health Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality, 2010
- Glycemic Control
- Emergency Department
- Rick Linneweh, President and CEO - Leaders in Health Care 2012: Lifetime Achievement Award
- The 25 Best Hospitals to work for in the US by Healthcare Exec News - 2012
- National Research Corporation (NRC) Consumer Choice Award 2009/2010 and 2010/2011
- Accredited by The Joint Commission, renewed 2010
- 2008 Cleverly and Associates Community Value 100, one of the Top 100 Hospitals for Hospital Quality, Cost of Services, Value of Services, and Viability and reinvestment back into the community
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work in America, 2003
- Washington State Hospital Association Health Leadership Award, 2004
- American Hospital Association's national NOVA Award for our leadership role in creating Children's Village, 1999 Community Partnership
- Finalist for the coveted Foster McGraw Prize for community service, 2000 National Communities Can! Award for outstanding collaboration