Awards & Accreditations
Virginia Mason memorial is committed to meeting the needs of our community. With more than 300 physicians on our medical staff and more than 2,500 employees, Memorial is home to a number of nationally recognized medical programs. We are proud to note the following awards of distinction and recognition of excellence.
Honors from the Commission on Cancer
In November 2017, the Commission on Cancer, a quality program of the American College of Surgeons, granted Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation to the cancer program at Virginia Mason Memorial.
VMM is one of only two cancer care programs in the state to achieve this status, receiving 5 out of 7 commendations.
“In over 25 years of working in Oncology Care, this is the most exciting result I’ve seen from a Commission on Cancer survey,” said Tricia Sinek, senior director of the Oncology Service Line at Virginia Mason Memorial.
To earn this accreditation, a cancer program must meet or exceed the CoC quality care standards, be evaluated every three years and maintain levels of excellence in the delivery of comprehensive patient-centered care. Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation is awarded only to a facility that exceeds standard requirements.
The Commission on Cancer reviews every single part of the cancer program – from the accuracy of every diagnosis, to assuring that patients are treated according to the most up-to-date treatment recommendations for surgery, radiation and chemotherapy, measuring Memorial’s results against the national standards and assessing the skill and expertise of every member of VMM’s cancer care team.
“Our entire team is committed to delivering great cancer care — whether at North Star Lodge, Virginia Mason Memorial hospital, `Ohana Mammography Center, in primary care, or through services at Cottage in the Meadow.”
Heart and Vascular
- Member of the Washington Emergency Cardiac & Stroke System. Memorial Hospital is a level 1 Emergency Cardiac Center and a level 2 Emergency Stroke Center.
The American Heart Association Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus
- The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association recognize this hospital for achieving 85% or higher adherence to all Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Achievement indicators for two or more consecutive 12 month intervals and at least 12 consecutive months of 75% or higher compliance with 5 or more Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Quality measures to improve quality of patient care and outcomes.
The American Heart Association Heart Failure Gold Achievement Award.
- The American Heart Association recognizes this hospital for achieving 85% or higher compliance with all Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Achievement Measures and 75% or higher compliance with four or more Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Quality Measures for two or more consecutive years and has demonstrated documentation of all three Target: Heart Failure care components for 50% or more of eligible patients with heart failure discharged from the hospital to improve quality of patient care and outcomes.
The Mission: Lifeline® Bronze Receiving Quality Achievement Award
- The American Heart Association recognizes the hospital has reached an achievement score of 75 percent or greater for treating STEMI transfer patients within 120 minutes for at least one quarter.
- Joint Commission Certification Gold Seal of Approval
Memorial is the only hospital in Washington to have these three programs achieve Disease Specific Care Certification.
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Hip Fracture Care
- 2014 Washington State Hospital Association "Achieving Best Care Award" for our efforts to decrease patient harm through our participation in the Partnership for Patients national initiative
- Qualis Health Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality, 2010
- Glycemic Control
- Emergency Department
- Rick Linneweh, President and CEO - Leaders in Health Care 2012: Lifetime Achievement Award
- The 25 Best Hospitals to work for in the US by Healthcare Exec News - 2012
- National Research Corporation (NRC) Consumer Choice Award 2009/2010 and 2010/2011
- Accredited by The Joint Commission, renewed 2010
- 2008 Cleverly and Associates Community Value 100, one of the Top 100 Hospitals for Hospital Quality, Cost of Services, Value of Services, and Viability and reinvestment back into the community
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work in America, 2003
- Washington State Hospital Association Health Leadership Award, 2004
- American Hospital Association's national NOVA Award for our leadership role in creating Children's Village, 1999 Community Partnership
- Finalist for the coveted Foster McGraw Prize for community service, 2000 National Communities Can! Award for outstanding collaboration